Sunday, June 25, 2017

Long, long hiatus and more forum drama

I sincerely apologize for the long absence. There are times where I feel that my creative battery is completely drained, and I just stop uploading for a while. Now is one of those times.

I shelved my current projects about a month ago, and since then I've been doing a long, super-modded Skyrim playthrough. There have been a lot of great Skyrim mods added to the Nexus in the last 2.5 years since I did my last playthrough, and I'm thoroughly enjoying them. I'm probably not done with Sims 2 for good, but I really need a break from it. I may also look into modding for other games in the future, such as Sims 4.

I will preface the next part by saying that I have huge respect for the cave gatherers over at SimsCave. It's a great site and the best source available for Sims 2, 3, and 4 updates. The cave scouts are hard-working and dedicated, and one of them (Julie) is a wicked awesome creator in her own right. That said, as my blogs don't have a lot of subscribers (hint, hint), like many creators I'm dependent to some degree on SimsCave for visits and pageviews. Which doesn't always go as anticipated. It's kind of disheartening to work for a month or more on a project, and have people notice it weeks later (or not at all in some cases) because SimsCave skipped it or was late with the update. This is also why I'm not feeling motivated to create lately.

That said, I dislike being pulled into the shit maelstrom that is Sims 2 forum drama, but it seems as if it can't be helped. I thought I was forever done with it after the Bodice-Ripper posebox shit-show at PBK, but once again it has reared its ugly head. 

Long-time friends and fans know that try to maintain a solid reputation. Granted, I've made a few dick moves in the past, but for the most part I tend to live and let live. I do my best to follow up on the comments in my blog posts, and I do tons of research before uploading to make sure that creator TOU are not violated, proper permissions are obtained, and that creators are properly linked and credited. Why? Because I sincerely hope that other creators will extend me the same courtesy when my content is used.

So it came much to my surprise when SimsCave posted a link to a Tumblr post (which will remain nameless; I have no intention of giving this unscrupulous person more pageviews) that featured a BDSM-type lot. Curious, I checked it out. The pictures of the lot included some of the objects from the BDSM playset, and the post claims that there BDSM accessories and a posebox (which have nothing to do with the lot, obviously) in the file, but curiously, there's no link to the originally post or credit for the creator. Now a bit more concerned, I downloaded the 94 meg file. So a little over half the file is the Sims2Pack containing the lot and the unedited Fraps images. The rest contains my object, accessory, and posebox files for the BDSM playset.

I sent the Tumblrina the following personal message:

I really don't appreciate having my shit stolen wholesale. If you're going to use another creator's work in your projects, at least have the courtesy to publish the proper credit and links back to the original post. Not sure exactly why my entire object set, accessories and poses were included in the folder since they're not included in the lot file and you didn't create them.
To which I received this response:

Hi. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding. I never did claim your set as my own so I’m sorry if you thought I did? I think I made it pretty clear in my speed build video that your objects did not belong to me and I’m sorry if you think I was trying to claim them as my own. I was not. I just added them to the folder so people didn’t have to go out of their way to find them online. If you want me to put a link of your creations in my video/description just let me know and I will if that makes you feel better.
Aside from the fact that he's a horrible person for punctuating declaratives with question marks, his response is complete bullshit. There is no speed build video, or at least the speed build video is not linked to or embedded properly in the post. There are no links to the original source (Blue Heaven Sims Adult); if there were I would be able to see the visits from the page where the alleged video is in Traffic Sources. I never implied that I said the "creator" claimed my work as his own; I said (accurately) that he stole my shit. This is just lack of basic reading comprehension. So essentially because he couldn't be arsed with accurately crediting and linking to my work, he stole it and redistributed it in his download.

No proper credit given.
No link to the original material included.
No permission requested.
No reading comprehension before providing response.
No resolution provided for the original issue.
No fucks given.

So at this point, all I can do is write a nasty letter to MediaFire and wait for them to take down the file, because the concept of no redistribution without permission eludes this kid. Hopefully it won't take too long.

I'm sorry for those who were expecting more uploads. I'm likely to continue with my work, both at the family-friendly and adult blogs, but not in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. don't get discouraged dude and you rock! love everything you do and keep up the good work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mattel steals my artwork all the time and google search images at hankypanky68 if you wanna see what i do? :o

    ReplyDelete